But what should I wear?

So, it's time to finalise what I'm going to wear for my Marathon debut on Sunday.

I'm thinking I'll go for the Phoenix Adventure jersey with running tights and my new Saucony Hurricanes. I'll have to wear one of my Ironman hats - as multisport is really where my heart lies.

What you wear in a race is always a big decision. This time, I've agonised over the decision to wear the Phoenix Adventure kit, even by my standards. I even asked KKB whether he thought I should ask Andy if he would mind me wearing his new club kit, given that I haven't really trained with him for this race, and also because I wasn't realistically going to set a blistering pace...

KKB wondered why on earth I thought Andy would possibly mind. Doing your best, rather than being the best, has always been Andy's ethos.

Nevertheless, when I got the chance to run it by Andy, I did. As KKB had predicted, Andy looked at me a little blankly, as if he couldn't quite fathom my request. As Andy wondered what to say to me, I kept chattering away, explaining my predicament.

"It's just that I'll be out there for a while... in fact I'm a little bit worried that I might come last. I don't want to be a bad advertisement for you", I continued.

Andy reminded me that his team had finished the recent Geoquest 48hr Race just a couple of minutes before the official cutoff. "Why do you think we did that? Everyone was there waiting for us, the presentations were about to start, it was the best exposure ever!"

Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment