Not happy, (but then there was) Jan!

Another record training run this morning, 26Kms, leaving from home and ending up at work.

It was a long time to be out there. I'd woken up with a bit of a sore throat and a sniffle, and even though part of the run took in the bike path along Coronation Drive, I was failing dismally in the popularity stakes. It isn't often I run or ride along there without seeing someone I know. When I got to the 20K mark, my chances were further diminished when I was diverted to the footpath of Coronation Drive, away from the cyclists, who are able to continue along beside the river.

Something had to turn this around, didn't it?

As I approached the 21K mark I found myself ruing the fact that I was running all this way, and still not getting a Tshirt. (I just have to get over that, I know.)

Out of nowhere, and quite unexpected, I heard my name. I looked over to spot an old training buddy, Jan, waving at me across several lanes of traffic.

There's a saying that decrees that if you need to get something done, give it to a busy person. Jan is the epitome of this. Not only does she train for triathlon, she has school aged kids (one of whom just did some serious damage to his knee), volunteers on the organising committee of the Brookfield Show, as well as many other community activities. I don't know whether Jan works, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out she fits in 9 to 5 in as well.

Jan is always one of the first to comment when I post any talk of long Ks on Facebook. So it's a little ironic that she was the one to help me get through today.

Still, it has to be said.

Thanks Jan, for making me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment