GNW100s in pictures (and some words that have taken a while to come).

My awesome crew took so many pictures from GNW100. Like most pictures - they tell a story all by themselves and express something that I felt but didn't know how to put into words.

Many of you will have read my warts and all review of GNW100s and perhaps even the dissection.

This post is for those of you that want to know what really happened. Those of you who love the zen of Athletic Powerhouse.

Leaving at stupid o'clock. Game faces on.
(Yes that's a carry on suitcase. I had a LOT of stuff.)
That suitcase is full of stuff. Most of which I needed.

Checking in at Tulkaba Park - home of the Lake Macquarie Dockers!
Checkin. Very quick, even including the mandatory weigh-in.

The field of the GNW100s. I'm up the back somewhere.
(Are you digging the flouro vests?)

Heading towards Checkpoint 1. Getting here was an absolute bitch. I didn't realise it at the time but I only just made the checkpoint. and I also didn't really realise at the time that there was some really nice country side here.

And leaving Checkpoint 1

In to Checkpoint 2 - off to do my mandatory gear check.

Also at CP2, I'll make a quick mention of Dr Jon King, the race doctor, who often pops up at triathlons as our Medical Delegate. When I rocked up at CP2 - there he was. It was such a nice surprise to see another familiar face and he checked in on me throughout the event.

I saw him about a month after the GNW100 at a triathlon event in Adelaide, and as soon as he could get a quiet minute with me, he asked me, "what happened to you?"  Not in a demanding way. In a gentle, concerned way.

You don't get that every day.

Arriving at Checkpoint 3 off the "death trap trail". I've since found out that trail really is a death trap. I couldn't see it in the dark but I heard from someone who trained on it in the day that it is not only skinny, but there are some very big drops off the side of it. I'm kind of glad it was dark.

I think Checkpoint 3 was the only time I sat down - I emptied some dirt out of my shoes and changed my socks. And yes. It's OK to say it. I think you're right... I am starting to look slightly delusional...

Arriving at Checkpoint 5 was the lowest part of my race. My tummy felt funny, the section I'd just finished seemed to take forever.

(Actually on looking at my times it did take forever.)

JQ took some video of me running into Somersby School and I didn't even acknowledge him. I am so embarrassed about  that. I was not in a good place.

At Checkpoint 6 it was all or nothing. Actually I remember now, I sat down here as well - the medical team pumped me full of potato, coke, water, and all kinds of things to try and get me through. And how about JQ. He couldn't do enough to help me. He's a keeper.

With so many memories captured, my favourite picture from GNW100s is this one.

Me and my friend SEG.

It's not in focus, but even with the 'soft focus' I think SEG will forgive me for saying that neither of us realistically look our best.

I still get sad when I think about my DNF at GNW100s. I cried again just the other night when I looked at my Garmin file and saw, again, how close I'd been.

But SEG and JQ crewed like bosses all weekend. Sharing this experience with one of my best friends has been such a highlight. SEG and I have supported each other through life decisions, physical challenges, heartbreak and everything in between. This is yet another experience I know I'll treasure forever.

When I arrived in Newcastle on the Thursday before the event, SEG said to me, "I was reading the other day that if you can maintain a friendship for more than seven years, it's highly likely to last forever. So it looks you're stuck with me."

I'll take that SEG. In fact there's not a lot of things in life that make me happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment