We are one, but we are many

An interesting encounter with some "cyclists" this morning up at Mt Mee. I'd fallen off the back of my pack (nothing uncommon there) and was concerned I'd missed them as I passed through Mt Mee township. I pulled over to call them when the two "cyclists" came by from the other direction.

They correctly diagnosed my predicament and offered some helpful advice that there was a lookout a couple of ks ahead.

"Were there any cyclists there?" I asked.

"Hmmm... there were a few triathletes up there. 2 or 3 of them."

I was a little perplexed at this chaps choice of words. It was as if he wasn't sure whether he should consider my triathlete friends as cyclists or not. OK, so triathletes might like to poke a bit of fun at roadies' penchant for white nicks and long socks - but generally I thought we were all at one with one another. Am I wrong?

Maybe next time I have a workmate or neighbour bail me up about what a danger "cyclists" are on the road, I should agree with them - but be sure to make the point that "triathletes", on the other hand, are models of consideration, lawfulness and patience when riding their bicycles on the road?

1 comment:

  1. G'day Powerhouse

    How could they tell they were triathletes? Surely they weren't cycling in togs and goggles?!

    By the way, I saw a pair of white-pants-wearing cyclists the other day. They did look foolish.

    ReplyDelete