I set my goals for 2013 before 2012 even finished so I'm even late by my own standards.
I am looking forward to 2014 because I've set myself a new goal that I'm a little bit frightened of.
I'll cut to the chase. Here's the list.
- Conquer Mt Baw Baw after my first failed attempt, and finish off the 7 Peaks Challenge - March 2014
- A 3.8k ocean swim in March or April. Probably April. I haven't started swim training yet so this will e a good intermediate goal for...
- Ironman Cairns - June 2014.
- Glasshouse Mountains 100k trail run - September 2014
Actually, let's make that two goals I'm frightened of. I am a little bit scared of Baw Baw. I'm mostly scared of my first 100k race.
I am preparing my training plan now and am seeking out some expert opinion... more on that in a future post... but overall my plan is to for my Ironman training to be more run heavy than it usually is so that my body is ready to start a proper run program after that.
So my list of mini goals is:
- Run off the bike after every ride - even if it's only 2-3ks for now.
- Strength circuit once a week and build the warm up run I usually do for this session from my usual 2ks to 5-8ks
- Hill session on the bike every week
- Swim twice a week from now until at least my ocean swim in April.
I don't really know how this is all going to pan out. But I've decided to be confident. After all, I didn't know how two Ironman races was going to go last year, and that turned out OK. I even fitted in a bonus 50k ultramarathon in December.
So here's to the new year. What are your goals and how are you going with them?
(Come on. You can do it. Be a confident horse this year.)